About Surnames...

话说, the most common surnames are: Chen 陈, Lin 林, Li 李, Cai 蔡, Wang 王, Huang 黄.

Anyway, I'm sure anyone would have friends with the above mentioned surnames.

I, myself is a Xu 许. Come to think of it, I'd say it's quite a common surname too but how come it's not in the top 6?

What are some of the celebrities with the surname Xu? I think the earlier generations would be the 3 Hui brothers, 许冠杰, 许冠文, 许冠英 who reigned the Hong Kong movies industry for a while for their comedies. Haha! And then there was Andy Hui 许志安, Valen Hsu 许茹芸, Mavis Hee 许美静. Newer generations that I can think of would be Evonne Hsu 许慧欣, Peggy Hsu 许哲佩, Jason Hsu 许孟哲. Who else are there? Would there be a 许嘉恩 in the music industry too?

陈氏果然遍布世界. My mom's a Chen 陈. Chen has lots of dialects too like Tan, Chan, Chin, Cheng...I wonder how come there are so many dialects. Just like Xu has Koh, Kho, Khor, Hsu, Hui.

But surprisingly, there aren't a lot of celebrities with the surnames Chen though. Some famous ones I can think of Daniel Chan 陈晓东, Jordan Chan 陈小春, Edison Chen 陈冠希, Eason Chan 陈亦讯, Kelly Chen 陈慧琳, Victor Chen 陈斯翰, Ella Chen 陈嘉桦. There's no local stars by the surname of Chen huh? Or is there?

Although Lin might be one of the most common surnames and of course there are damn lots of celebrities with the surname Lin like JJ Lin 林俊杰, Ruby Lin 林心如, Shino Lin 林晓培, Sandy Lam 林忆莲, Karena Lam 林嘉欣, Ariel Lin 林依晨, Lin Youwei 林右威, Lin Zhixuan 林志铉, Jimmy Lin 林志颖, Lin Ching Hsia 林清霞 AND! RAYMOND LAM 林峰~

Li/Lee 李 is a common Chinese AND Korean surname. Then some of the celebrities by the surname Li which I can think of Angelica Li 李心洁, Coco Lee 李纹, Christopher Lee 李铭顺. No more already?

Cai 蔡, I do remembered that there were lots of 蔡老师 around in pri/sec school. Ms Chua, Mr Chua, Mr Tsai, Mrs Choi etc. The most famous Cai in the music industry would definately have to be Jolin Tsai 蔡依林. There are also several others like Tanya Chua 蔡健雅, Joi Tsai 蔡淳佳. There doesn't seem to have any male celebs by the surname of Cai except 康熙来了's host, 蔡康永. HAHA! Any male Cais around?

Wang 王 is quite a high status surname, simply because Wang means King. Simple characters but people under this surname is usually someone with high achievements. Of course, it's another story if you add an 'eight 八' behind Wang. It's a totally different word which we shan't touch on it. LOL~

I remembered there were lots of Mr/Ms/Mrs Wongs in my pri/sec days, 王老师 or 黄老师. But there aren't a lot of celebs with this surname. Faye Wong 王菲, Cyndi Wang 王心凌, Lee Hom 王力宏, Wang Jie 王杰, Wong Hei 王喜. And bet you guys didn't know Guang Liang's surname Wang? His real name is Michael Wong Kong Leong 王光良.

People often mix up Wang & Huang. One of the reason is cos they sound the same. Cantonese Wong is 王, but Hakka Wong is 黄. Hokkien 王 is Ong. Still confused? Haha~ Never mind, it took me quite some time to figure this out.

Frankly speaking, nowadays ppl only remember ppl by their first names, hardly by their surnames. Perhaps there might be other Huangs around in my circle but it just didn't appear in my mind! Haha~ Celebrities with Huang as surname would be Stella Ng 黄湘怡, Huang Yida 黄义达, Huang Jiaqian黄家千, Hip hop brothers Machi's Jeffery 黄立成, ex-LA Boyz Stanley Huang黄立行, Huang Pinyuan黄品源, And AHA! Bet you guys also didn't know Pin Guan's surname's Huang too! His real name is Victor Wong Pin Kuan 黄品冠.

Some surnames which revolved around me: Wu 吴, My best friend, Wu Huishan 吴慧珊! Besides Huishan, there's also Kelvin Goh Weiming 吴伟铭.

Xiao/Hsiao 萧 is a very unique surname. Other Xiao celebs include Elva Hsio 萧亚轩,  Hsiao Hsiao 萧潇, 萧淑慎. And as an Energy fan, how could I EVER forget Edy Hsiao 阿弟萧景鸿.

Speaking of the surnames of Energy's members Xie Kunda & Milk 叶毅华, I actually do not personally know of anyone by the surname Xie or Ye. Haha! So 可惜...

Nonetheless, I do know of some other unique surnames like Yu 余 from my pri sch mate Yee Qifen, Bai 白 from my ex-piano teacher Ms Peh Bee Ling, my pri sch mate again Bai Murong, ex-JSS crush Peh Guangming. There's also Song 宋, the ONE & ONLY Song I knew all my life, my ex-JSS monitress Linda Song Meihui.

If fate prevails, I'd love to meet people of these UNBELIVABLY UNIQUE surnames: Qian 钱, Ruan 阮, Yuan 元, Wei 魏, He 贺, Lu 陆, Gao 高, Jiang 江, etc.