The past 3 weeks - especially during weekends was a whilrwind of viewing a lot of things, meeting people, learning new information, negotiating, finding out, communication.

We have previously checked in online forums about the typical rings that guys would get for their gfs. Turned out, a lot of guys would choose from retailers cos it's convenient & easily accessible. We went to various websites of SK, Goldheart, Love & Co etc. But we can't really tell the difference what's good what's not. He was also afraid that what he get I might not like, so he asked me to go look around with him.

He did some brief research and was interested to find out about the prices for 0.5carat, VS2, D-G, unfixed cut but based on the 1st 3 Cs, the budget will be around 2.5k-3k.

He has gotten the address of several places that we wanted to check out and it was a coincidence that most of the shops were in Orchard. Unfortunately our first hunt was on a Sunday and apparently most of the places (that weren't retail) were close and it's by appointment only. Fortunately, there was a Jewellery Street at ION!

Below are our own personal experiences at various services:

Rings
1. Love & Co @ ION Orchard (Apr 15)
I don't know about accessories or jewelleries either. That's why Dearie suggested we see the rings LIVE.

We were noobs entering the retail shop. There weren't other customers except us so it was a little awkward having all the sales looking at us. The helpful sales asst Edison was kind enough to do introduction about the 4Cs of diamond etc. Dearie told him the specs we're looking at and Edison asked what cut we're looking at. We truthfully mentioned about our budget and he said normal cut will fetch around 3k, ideal cut will be 4-5k. So he showed us some normal cut diamonds instead.

We hadn't had much knowledge on diamonds but from the presentation, I was actually already happy enough. Their rings had many beautiful settings - as in the bands/rings itself even without the diamond. Obviously plain rings that was 18k white/platinum gold were more affordable than those with little diamonds on it.

Using sales tactic, Edison said since we're happy with the 3 rings, we might as well put a deposit as diamond with individual preferred's specs won't be around for long and when it's snooped up, it will take rather long for the specs to come by again. But this was only our first stop. Told him if we haven't seen any better, we'd return.

2. Larry Jewelry @ ION Orchard (Apr 15)
Within the same building, Larry's was at a higher level at ION. You know what they say about the levels in ION, the higher the level, the more premium (expensive) the goods are. So I was a little skeptical when we arrived at a rather quiet floor.

Larry's was situated near the escalator so it was easy to spot. From the outside of the shop, it looked pretty hmm.... old fashioned. The layout and the display were pretty much 'old school', like those jewellery shops I'd followed my mom to when I was younger. The staffs inside were generally much older generation compared to those young sales @ Love & Co. On a closer look at the prices indicated at the display, I coughed. There are diamond rings at 10k and necklaces at 30k. I'm not sure if we'd come to the right place.

We were greeted by a friendly uncle and we mentioned about the intention to get an engagement ring and possible a pair of wedding band as well. While Dearie & him were discussing about the colour, clarity of diamond again, I was looking at the rings at the display. I wasn't really too pleased by the prices displayed $5k-$8, I was beginning to doubt if we should continue sitting. But the other female staffs were kind to pour us hot tea.

So the friendly uncle was telling us they carry Ideal cut diamond as well as Lazare Diamond. Without knowing what that means, Dearie & I assumed it's some kinda branded diamond on its own. So the uncle showed us a normal GIA Ideal cut diamond as well as a Lazare Diamond, though Dearie didn't managed to see any significant difference, I could tell Lazare was indeed more bling. But... the same specs of GIA diamond & Lazare diamond is a difference of at least 3-5k. DIFFERENCE! So imagine normal one cost 5k, Lazare would cost 8-9k. Pengz... cannot la.

So he said if we find a 0.5 carat costly, we can have a smaller one. He brought a 0.42 out and... hmm, it was significantly smaller. I was actually a bit sian liao even though I understand these are good diamond but somehow everytime I come across with expensive things out of my budget, I really have no heart to continue but this uncle was extremely patient & nice. Makes me feel a bit guilty for giving him the "We'll consider" look cos I know we can never afford it and I felt paiseh for stepping in a shop I know I can't possible afford anything.

Dearie politely gotten a namecard from him and we thanked Uncle Ray for his time & patience for explaining so much about diamond cuts to us.

-

In the end we didn't return to Love & Co as we felt we should explore more than to get one impulsively. And Ah Xiang was also a person who'd like to get his money spent worth so he wanted to make sure he's paying for something good.

The following week, we have scheduled with those jewellery services that aren't considered retail.

-

3. eClarity @ Shaw Towers Orchard (Apr 21)
Xiang was the one who schedule the appointment. It's funny how they only open from 12-2pm, then the rest of the timing leh?

We arrived at the doorstep of the 'office'. Well, I am assuming that is considered an office space since it's not a retail space. The door was transparent and we could see it was lighted inside but nobody was in view. We rang the doorbell and someone who looks like a Fillipino maid brought us in. When we stepped inside, I felt a little awkward if we came at the right time? We saw a lady who looks like she could be the ladyboss lecturing to a bunch of young sales assistants. By young, I mean really really damn young poly students/grads who looked like they were part-timing.

Nonetheless, right after we were asked to sit down, there was another couple, followed by just a guy who came in few minutes after one another. The ladyboss who introduced herself as Claire attended to us first and briefly mentioned about the 4Cs but something she said kinda contradict what Xiang & I know as she mentioned that the 2 most obvious Cs are carat & colour. She added that clarity & cut all cannot see without the use of microscope. Hmm.... And we thought the most important is supposed to be cut, cos that shows how bling the diamond is, isn't it?

She then brought 4 diamonds out based on our given specs. She told us the exact specs of each of the diamond and indicating the price of the lose diamond. Thereafter, she gave us a 'forum discount' (when we sat down, we were asked how did we know about eClarity. Well, Xiang knew it from forums) price and ended with, "I'll leave both of you to decide and I'll be back later if you have any questions." With that, she went to attend the other potential customers.

Xiang turned to me and said, "Ya lor! Exactly same as how the ppl described on forum. Talk abit liao then left." He went on & whispered to be about some of the negative reviews others had experienced. Then I told him, "If you know the service here not good then you still schedule appointment to come and look for what?"

We requested to get the paper which she had written and said we'll consider and left abruptly. Haha! It was a rather awkward appointment but well, nah, I doubt we'll buy a diamond ring from someone like that either.

4. Canary Diamonds @ Delfi Orchard  (Apr 21)
We didn't make appointment with Canary but since they have a shop there, we believe we could walk-in. We walked towards Delfi and was happy to see that they were open. There were just one couple inside so Xiang & I stepped in excitedly.

We knew about Canary from this guy's blog. He had gotten a diamond online from Whiteflash and had the diamond set at Canary.

A sales by the name of Angeline served us. She was a bespectacled, short-hair lady probably in her 40s? Very professional & confident looking. As a protocol by jewellers, she began to show us their diamonds & briefly explained to us about the 4Cs and showed us scopes to magnify the stones. She wasn't a gemologist, just purely sales but I was quite impressed with her patience & explanation. Xiang asked to see their wedding bands as well and to be honest, I actually like their wedding bands and they cost less than $1k which was within our budget :P

I think we were one of the couples who sat the longest but yet never gotten anything while some other couples

From the looks of it, I think Canary is pretty considerable and even Angeline thought we're prepared to put a deposit but Dearie told her we're still looking at 1 or 2 more jewellers and will go back if we have decided to take her offer.

Bridal Fairs
1. The International Wedding Fair @ Suntec Level 3 (Apr 14)
We were there in hopes to find out the prices of various packages as well as to check out their albums, photography styles, gown collections (in pictures).

Just approaching the 3rd floor was a little scary cos they were all crowding around the escalator, shoving their brochures & pamphlets into your arms, practically pleading with you to look at their booth/photos. I wanted to look around and check it out without having ppl bugging me.

I've heard of The Aisle and checked out their websites before but since I haven't physically seen or tried on any gowns yet, I could only form impression in my head. We stopped by in front of their booth and checked out the album displayed. There was a lady who invited us to the table and began chatting with us.

Well, Taiwanese are usually very cheerful and she showed us albums & albums and talked about the package. But I went with an idea to just look look. You know, look look? Checking out prices. But they keep pushing & persuading and the lady asked someone else senior to talk to us, talk about how professional their Taiwanese photographers are. But to be honest, Xiang & I weren't impressed with their photography skills. Singapore has a lot of freelance photographers that could easily take better pictures than what we were shown.

I asked if we could just rent gowns & suits since I have 'friends' who are able to do make up & take photos for me. But they 'argue' the fact that once in a lifetime, must look pretty and pictures must turn out nice. If my friends are not professional then better don't risk it. -.-

Their standard Pre-Wed + Actual Day (items only + PW make up & photography. AD make up & photography is not included) is $3688 but I'm seriously not going to pay that kind of money la. So I asked if I could just rent the gown & suits to which they of cos advice against as ala-carte will add up to even huge expenses like $5k or something. The price they quoted me to rent 2 gowns & 2 suits (for both PW + AD) at $2680 where they'll also throw in AD items such as bouquet, corsage, car decor, fathers' jackets.

Sounds like good deal? But that's without make up & photography :( And hmmm.... I still don't like being pushed but yet not quite sure how to reject. Wanted to use excuse like "going for dinner" but they keep asking to put deposit. Sigh...

In the end, I did put down a $100 deposit. -.- didn't know what I was thinking or doing.

While having dinner at Ottoya Suntec, I regretted putting the deposit and wanted to get it back after dinner but Dearie said it will make things ugly. I said no, we must be firm.

But....

We went back and attempted to tell them we want to look some more fail cos she really throw all in, wanting to get my business by saying they'll throw in a free hair & make up trial. If I'm satisfied then we will discuss, if not they'll return us the $100.

Pfffff........

End up, I didn't have time to look at the other booths after being stuck there for a total of 3hrs+. But at least there will be a free trial!