I am quite sure there are budget ways for an ala-carte wedding affair.

I searched around online and was delighted to know that there are indeed such services around. Subsequently from linking here & there I was able to find more. Unfortunately these mostly small or home-based business do not allow walk-in, so have to arrange appointment with them.

Below are some of my experience back in Apr/May.

Bridal Gowns & Dresses Boutiques

1. Dream Wedding Boutique @ Ubi One (Apr 10)

They mainly deal with packages in Taiwan as the ladyboss actually took post-wedding photo after first pregnancy. She recommended that overseas are more popular and have gowns that are not available in typical SG bridals.

As I started out with wanting an ala carte wedding, therefore wedding packages actually doesn't appeal to me. Their ala carte prices weren't cheap as well. Rental of 2 gowns could cost easily thousands and that was totally not what I was looking into. Apparently I can't try on any dresses until we have confirm a package with her so... this trip didn't benefit us.

2. Blessed Brides @ Albert Court Hotel (Apr 25)

I went there alone as it was on a weekday. I had just finished a seminar held at Suntec so it was convenient for me to drop by Little India MRT on my own.It was a really small space/shop. If those are all the collection they have, then actually they didn't have a lot.

I did have my idea kind of gown. With my fat arms, those that I fancied were those that have sleeves. But the very young sales assistant (who later revealed to be 21 years old) recommended me a few that may suit my frame. I tried on a few pieces.

It was my first time trying on gowns and to be honest, I couldn't get used to how I look and will be looking. Either I'm too self-conscious or I felt that the gown 'wasn't meant for me'. I mean... I was expecting to feel that 'I totally shine' but I totally didn't! Haha! but their prices were pretty considerable.

Depending on the type of gown (I guess they based on level of new-ness as well as exquisiteness-ness.) It ranges from anything from $300-$500 to rent one gown. So typically, a wedding would require min 2 gowns so that's already a $600-1000 to consider carefully.

The ladyboss wasn't around to attend to me personally but I quite like the service attitude of the 21 year-old girl :) mainly because she allow me to charge my iPhone that was going flat when I arrived.

3. Fabulosity @ Tiong Bahru Rd (Apr 25)

Dearie & I were earlier than our scheduled appointment but as they were attending to a another couple before us so we were made to wait. After that I was asked to try on a piece. The dress was dolly looking but I looked like crap. I asked Dearie to snap a pic of me but the lady said we are not allow to take pics. -.- Hello, wedding dresses looked almost similar. What you afraid of? Ppl copy your design ah? Or is it you copy from other and scared to be discovered?

Tried on a few more pieces, the more I tried, the better I looked in the later pieces. It's like I wore #1, then #2 is better, then #3 is even better! I think I tried about 5 wedding dress and realised I suit a ballerina looking piece cos it was the only piece that could be zipped up. The rest were really too small/tight/unflattering.

The usual sales talk after few gown trying. While the Taiwanese ladyboss is extremely friendly but that's cos we are potential corrects ready to be chopped for a huge sum. Ok, actually friendly is an understatement, the typical 泼辣型的女人 is more like a closer description. Good talker/speaker, high confidence level, intimidatingly persuasive. I hope you get the picture.

To be honest, I quite like one of their wedding gown & evening gown but this is just my second time trying, I would really do want to consider and look more before decision but they keep pressuring with a $880 3-hour wedding & $1880 AD package. It really does sound too good to be true even though I hope it will be true.

Because I have prior searched for a pre-wedding photographer who offered $1200 for 6-hour photography, that is not inclusive of gown rental but this little bridal studio is office $980 for BOTH makeup service, gown rental, plus photographer?

I ended up taking it without knowing what's to come.... 这就是我看价钱不看直觉的后果... If I have to be specific, I kind of immediately regretted AFTER I paid the deposit of $500...

Stay tuned for more user experience descriptions...

4. Jess Haute Couture @ North Bridge Rd (Apr 28)

I came across this name on Singaporebrides. The website was rather old-school but that's ok. Usually small business owners will be busy managing sales than to maintain an online presence. But what struck me was, how come they didn't have a Facebook page? Didn't they realise ppl rely a lot on FB for pictorial/video showcase, ppl's comments/testimonials etc? There weren't a lot of names mentioned on the forums itself even though their service were 'advertise/promoted' on the Singaporebrides page. But I still made an appointment with them as they have gowns that come in plus size. 

The ladyboss was busy attending to other couple so we were left looking around & browsing through their photo albums. While their shop front looked news & stylish, the photos of the wedding/evening dresses that we were shown were rather outdated. 

True enough, the gowns that I tried on were really kind of outdated and obviously I couldn't fit into those designs that I have chosen and was told that if MTM, it will be such & such a price. Apparently, I was only able to try 2 gowns, 1 wedding & 1 evening and she 'very extremely kindly' let me try on another additional 3rd gown, citing that I can only try on more if I have confirm their service. 

And if I have to be specific, the ladyboss was kinda sian serving us. While the previously Taiwanese ladyboss was TOTALLY OVERLY enthu/friendly/intimidatingly persuasive, this one was a just indifferent, as if she really really doesn't want/need your service. 

We left the shop without looking back and mentally crossed this out though Mr Z wondered why did I continue looking even after we paid Fabulosity the deposit already? Haiz... good question. 

5. Vivian Gown @ Anchorvale, Sengkang (Apr 28)

Sengkang was really an easily-lost estate, every blk looked the same. I supposed Dearie & I got off a stop earlier and we were completely lost and could just walk blindly hoping to find that Vivian's blk was nearby. Unfortunately we were running a little later than our appointment so the ladyboss was busy attending to another group of customers and I was brought to a room hanged with lots of gowns. I was told I could try on them freely which I did, with the help of Mr Z since Vivan was busy.

I like how this piece is considered 'Greed Goddess' style but unfortunate as it was the fitting type, my huge butt isn't flattering due to the cut that falls freely down on the figure and you could see a bit of VPL :X And I guess it doesn't look 'grand' enough considering I have almost 400 guests.

Here's another one very verrrrrryyyyy looooooonnnnnggggg train behind. I didn't show the backview because this is a zip-back and I'm too fat for it to be zipped up. Alteration requires additional cost so :( this isn't suitable as well.

VIOLA!!! I found one that enhanced my figure despite still looking 虎背熊腰 due to the fact that it's a corset tie-back! Yay! And I definitely love the bling bling details on the gown and how it flows down nicely hiding my huge butt!!! Weeeee.... I borrowed  bling bling hairband too.

I hereby conclude that I look gorgeous in ballet tulle gown! :D

But, there's just one problem. This gorgeous gown is $700 to keep  :( I definitely don't think if I should be spending that kind money to keep a gown after wearing probably 2 times? But it's really the best one so far and I could fit and it looks nice on me!!! Pffft....

My heart was so itchy after we left that day and it kept me wondering for a long time :(

6. The Aisle @ Windsor Hotel, Macpherson Rd (Apr 28)

Unfortunately I was there to cancel my invoice and get back the deposit which we had paid during the Bridal Fair at Sutec. It was also almost closing time for them. Their boutique was hugggggggeeee. It was open concept and everything could be scene but I didn't want to appear to be interested. The dresses were zipped up anyway.

The Fancy姐 mentioned something, "你看我们家衣服这么多!你都不给我们机会捏." It was rather awkward but well, sorry I just can't afford premium services la.

I wouldn't say it's a pity but I guess I wasn't that comfortable taking their package in the first place. Case closed.